Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Rediscovering Jesus

My friend, Nile Gomez blessed me with a new "Book of Hours" compiled from the writings of Thomas Merton yesterday. What a rare treat! I thought I would include in today's blog one of Merton's psalms from it:
Today, in a moment of trial, I rediscovered Jesus,
or perhaps discovered Him for the first time.
I came closer than ever to fully realizing how true it is
that our relations with Jesus are something utterly beyond
the level of imagination and emotion.

His eyes, which are the eyes of Truth, are fixed upon my heart.
Where His glance falls, there is peace:
for the light of His face, which is the Truth,
produces truth wherever it shines.

There too is joy:
And He says to those He loves,
I will fix My eyes upon you.
His eyes are always on us everywhere and in all times.
No grace comes to us from heaven except He looks upon our hearts.

The grace of this gaze of Christ upon my heart
transfigured this day like a miracle.
It seems to me that I have discovered a freedom that I never knew before in my life.

I have felt that the Spirit of God was upon me,
and I thought that,
if I only turned my head a little,
I would see a tremendous host of angels in silver armor
advancing behind me trough the sky,
coming at last to sweep the whole world clean.
It carried me along on a vivid ocean of ocean.

An the whole world and the whole sky was filled with wonderful music,
As it has often been for me in these days.