Thursday, March 22, 2007

Back Home

I am back home after a two week speaking and ministering trip to South Africa. It was a deeply fruitful and providential time for me, but I am grateful to be back. As I flew over the Chesapeake Bay in the flight from Washington DC to Norfolk, seeing the familiar bay bridge from the air, revelling in the joy of being back where God has put me, I was reminded of the importance of giving consent to God's will for our lives.
There is this wonderful interview that was done with Mother Teresa in TIME Magazine in 1989 by Edward D. Desmond, in which he asked her if she thought that she had any special qualities. Her answer: "I don't think so. I don't claim anything of the work. It's His work. I'm like a little pencil in His hand. That's all. He does the thinking. He does the writing. The pencil has nothing to do it. The pencil has only to be allowed to be used. In human terms, the success of our work should not have happened, no? That is a sign that it's His work, and that He is using others as instruments - all our Sisters. None of us could produce this. Yet see what He has done."

When we give consent to where He puts us and do what He asks us to do with a big smile great miracles can happen.